ELECTRICAL AND ELECTRONICS ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT (INC. RENEWABLE ENERGY CENTRE)
The Department’s vision is ‘To Excel in Electrical and Electronics Engineering and Technology Education, focusing on creating professionals with creative minds, innovative ideas, and hands-on skill to better the community.”
Furthermore, the Mission is “To develop and impart among our trainees theoretical and practical aspects in the field of Electrical and Electronics Engineering and Technology and to inculcate a high sense of professionalism and ethics to create successful Technologists.
- To provide graduates with a solid foundation in Technology fundamentals in Electrical and Electronics Engineering to enable them to comprehend, analyze, design, and implement practical issues in the Electrical and Electronics Engineering Field.
- To inculcate in graduates professional and ethical attitude, practical communication skills, multidisciplinary approach, and ability to relate Electrical engineering issues for a successful career.
The programmers range from Artisan, Craft, and Diploma Levels with specialization in the areas of; Electrical Installation, Electronics/ Radio & TV, Telecommunication, Electrical Power Systems, Solar PV Systems (EPRA-Min. Of Energy), and Solar Water Heating Systems (EPRA-Min. Of Energy)
To fulfill the Kenya Government policy on skill-based training, the traditional courses have acquired the CBET curriculum approach. The department currently has CBET/ NITA courses in Electrical Installation and Solar PV Technology, both at Level III and Grade 1, 2, and 3.
Various national bodies accredit the courses being offered. The culmination of our training is summed up assessments from Kenya National Examination Council (KNEC), the National Industrial Training Authority (NITA), National Construction Authority (NCA), Energy and Petroleum Regulatory Authority (EPRA).
The department admits applicants and places them in the respective programs of their interest and levels that they qualify.
The Department uses the Kenya Government Approved curriculum as issued by the Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development (KICD).
On behalf of GOK, the department, through the Ministry of Energy, conducts and confers certificates in Renewable Energy. The specific areas of our training currently include Solar PV Technology and Solar Hot Water Heating Technology. The department is yet to start training in Wind Technology.
Those Adds-on training courses lead to grandaunts being tested and Licensed by the Energy and Petroleum Regulatory Authority (EPRA). These courses open to our grandaunts a wide range of Entrepreneurial opportunities in the field of Renewable Energy.
The department evaluates the trainees at specified times within their training. This is done through Continuous Assessment Tests (CATs) and End of Term examinations. We have adopted a Grade Point Aggregate (GPA) system. This system offers an easy and quick way for both the trainer and trainee to assess their respective performance. Besides, the trainee is expected to undergo Industrial Attachment. For those undertaking proficiency courses offered by NITA and EPRA, trainees are booked for these examinations at designated periods (For NITA, April, August, and December)
To streamline the smooth functioning, the department has an administrative team. This team is drawn from all the sections within.
The function of the Administration is to:
- Interact and maintain cohesion in the department, college administration, and the stakeholders.
- Develop and recommend new or revised objectives and outcomes of the programmers.
- Give and receive reports on the progress of the department.
The Administration consists of: The Head of Department, as the departmental Chair, The Deputy Head of the department in charge of academics and Counseling, and The Heads of Sections (HOS); namely:
- Electrical Power/Installation
- Center Coordinator (Renewable Energy Center)
- The Course Tutors C/TThe Technician
The department has adequate Training halls, Workshops, and Laboratories to enable effective and efficient training. Our training areas are within the college Wi-Fi precincts to ensure internet connectivity for the trainees and trainers.
The department, through the Renewable Energy Centre, has established several linkages and collaborations. Notably amongst many others are:
- Institute of Energy and Environmental Technology (IEET) of JKUAT
- Strathmore Energy Research Centre (SERC) Strathmore University/Arizona State University
- Solar Cookers International (SCI)
- Rural Electrification Authority (REA)
- National Industrial Training Authority(NITA)
- Japanese International Cooperation Agency (JICA)
- Kenya Renewable Energy Association (KEREA)
- IFC/World Bank, to mention but a few.
Our collaboration areas include training, capacity building, certification, Information sharing, Licensing, and not limited to advisory services
The department has a team of Fourteen (14) strong and dedicated professional trainers willing to transform our clients into responsible and competitive Artisans, craftsmen/women, and Technologists ready to take up tasks in transforming the country by enabling it to achieve industrialization goals.