FISHERIES AND AGRICULTURE DEPARTMENT
The department offers academic programs in both Fisheries and Agriculture offered from craft to diploma levels. There are two sections in the department, namely; Agriculture, Aquaculture, and Fisheries Technology. The department aims to meet the industry’s demand for skilled craftsmen in Agriculture, Aquaculture, and Fisheries sub-sectors by providing practical, market-oriented training programs to high school graduates and both prospective and practicing farmers. The department has highly qualified trainers.
Why undertake aquaculture or fisheries programs at RIAT
Our training programs are practical oriented and geared towards equipping the trainees with hands-on experience to initiate, operate and maintain fisheries and aquaculture enterprises, whether as employees, managers, or owners. Advantages of the programs include:
- They are competence-based and market-driven
- Our qualifications are internationally recognized
- Learning is flexible in terms of duration taken and modes of learning
- Highly qualified trainers
- Collaboration with partners and hence enriched training and internship programs
- Affordable training costs
- Appropriate and adequate training facilities
- Flexible short courses for practicing and prospective fish farmers.
- Aquaculture Business Development Programme (ABDP) – 2018 – 2026
- RIAT-Israeli Embassy Partnership on Aquaculture Development and trainee Internship Programme (continuing since 2012)
- East African Aquaculture project (True Fish project) – 2020-2025
The agriculture section of the Fisheries and Agriculture department offers courses that provide trainees with the knowledge and practical skills that will enable them to engage in different forms of employment in agricultural enterprises. The courses are intended to lay a foundation for further studies in Agriculture. The trainees should be able to produce, process, and market agricultural products and carry out farm management activities.
The trainees can be self-employed as agripreneurs or can be employed in farms as managers, extension officers, agronomists, horticulturists, farm engineers, etc.
The section partners with other organizations to improve the quality of training. These include:
- GIZ – Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Program (CAADP), Skills Initiative for Africa-Agricultural TVET for Women (SIFA-ATVETW), Youth Employability in Agri-Jobs for Youth.
- ENABLE Youth Program – Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock, Fisheries and Irrigation through the State Department of Crops Development and African Development Bank (ADB).
Mr. Musa Ogola - Head of Department Fisheries and Agriculture
ACADEMIC PROGRAMMES FISHERIES AND AGRICULTURE
DIPLOMA : DURATION 3 YEARS
|1.||Diploma in General Agriculture||MODULE 1,2 & 3|
CRAFT CERTIFICATE DURATION 2 YEARS
|2.||Craft Certificate in General Agriculture||TEP|
|3.||Craft Certificate in Fisheries Technology||TEP|
|4.||Craft certificate in Fisheries Science and Technology||Modular 1& 2|
|5.||Horticulture Production (Yet to begin)||Level 5|
CBET PROGRAMMES DURATION 3 YEARS
|6.||Aqua Culture Management||Level 6|
|7.||Short courses are offered on a need’s basis