Partnerships and collaborations is the key to any institution becoming technologically relevant and internationally competitive in the world market. Ramogi Institute of Advanced Technology (RIAT) has emphasised the spirit of building partnerships for enhancing skills and industrial development both at local and national economy levels.
The initiative of partnerships aims at increased network with industries as a way of skills development for sustainability in achieving the Kenya vision 2030, Sustainable Development Goals and the Big Four Agenda.
Commonwealth Of Learning 2010 To Date (Continuing).
Flexible and Blended skills training is a collaborative programme being implemented in TVET institutions by the Government of Kenya and the Commonwealth of Learning.
For increased access to wider student demographics within the country. To encourage the development of education, share open learning/distance knowledge, resources and technologies, increased access to skills training and integration of sustainable development goals into TVET programme Incorporating the regular training programmes with online skills training.
To date capacity building has been done to several trainers in different skills with focus on areas of ICT technologies and sustainable development
- A trainer attended PCF8 Conference- Kuala Lumpur
- A trainer attended TVET leaders conference in Germany (2019)
- Departmental FSD champions nominated
- A trainer has been nominated to the National Open Distance and Learning Committee (ODeL), currently chairing the Western region ODeL Team
- TOT training done to 3 trainers forming the Institutional ODeL Team
The United States, Department Of State Under The Community College Initiative Program ( 2017 To 2020).
The Community College Initiative Program (CCI) provides scholarships to trainees up to one academic year at U.S community colleges. (7 trainees sponsored) Trainees build technical skills and earn certificates in their fields of study.
Trainees study in one of the following eligible fields: agriculture, applied engineering, business management and administration, early childhood education, information technology, media, public safety, and tourism and hospitality management.
Undergo 6 months Internship programs
Graduates return home with new skills and expertise to help them contribute to the economic growth and development of their country.
Enable (Empowering Novel Agri-Business-Led Employment) Youth,Kenya Program “Youth In Agri-Business Project” 2018-2022.
The ENABLE Youth Kenya Program is a joint cooperative program which is sponsored by the African Development Bank whose goal is to contribute to job creation, food and nutrition security, income generation and improved
livelihoods of youths aims at; Creating an enabling environment for youth
To create business opportunities and decent employment for youths along priority agricultural value chains through the provision of entrepreneurship skills, funding and business linkages
- Training and Incubation for 12 months (1 year)
- Empowering Agriprenuers by financing youths in Agribusiness
- RIAT is one of the 8 YABIC’s (Youth in Agribusiness Incubation Centres) spread across the country. RIAT priority value chains include:
- Pig production and value addition
- Poultry farming and value addition
- Tomato Production and Processing
- African Leafy vegetable production
Impact / Expected Outcome
- Encourage growth of youths into sustainable, commercially viable
agribusiness small and medium enterprises (SME’s), by supporting the
development of well structured agribusiness projects,
- Providing commercial loans, and other financial products available for
- Entrepreneurship and agribusiness training and incubation.
Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Program With Agricultural Technical And Vocational Education Project (Caadp-Atvet Project).
To create more coherent policies for agricultural education and training in Africa, particularly for women and young people who are the most valuable asset for Africa’s future. (2017-2020)
- Kenya National Qualifications Framework (KNQF)
- Women Farmers Association in Kenya (WOFAK)
- Kenya National Association of Farmers (KENAF)
- African Union-New Partnerships and Development (AU-NEPAD)
- To improve food security and nutrition
- Skills Development (CBET)
- Increase the number of women agriprenuers
- Curriculum Development in agricultural value chains in line with TVET-CDACC( RIAT to co-ordinate Aquaculture and poultry curriculum)
- Capacity building of trainers, skills development in agriculture for youths and a major focus on women.
- Integrating Gender Transformative Approaches and soft skills into the curriculum.
- Training of Agricultural Value Chain Actors
Giz- Skills Initiative For Africa-Atvet For Women (2020-2022).
The project began in July 2020 in collaboration with African Union Development Agency and New Partnerships and Development (AUDA-NEPAD)
- Capacity building women agriprenuers
- Agribusiness Model for Women
- Skills Development for Women
- Mentorship and Coaching agripreneurs
- Curriculum Development with emphasis on gender inclusivity
(RIAT was involved developing the annual implementation work plan)
Giz- Youth Employment In Agri-Food Sector (Yea) & Rural Youth For Employment (Rye) 2020-2024.
Title of Project: Agri-Jobs 4 Youth
A joint initiative on youth employment in the agri-food sector in Western Kenya Rural youth benefit from improved training, income and employment opportunities in the agri-food sector in Western Kenya- Bungoma, Kakamega, Kisumu, Siaya, Vihiga.
Training of trainers ( 6 trainers already being trained as from 12/10/2020 to 12/11/2020, Issued with tablets to enable us engage learners online )
- Youth group trainings/peer to peer training
- Curricula development
- Career Guidance
- Link to private sector
(RIAT was involved in developing the baseline survey for ATVET)
Riat Aspnet (Associated Schools Project Network 2017 To Date.
It’s a network that was founded under the Kenya National Commission (KNATCOM) for UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization). It works under the Ministry of Education with primary, secondary, tertiary institutions and universities.
Theme: “Education for Peace and Sustainable Development”
Mission: To promote building of peace, eradication of poverty, sustainable development and intellectual dialogue through education, natural sciences, culture, communication and information
In TVET, KNATCOM-UNESCO is revolving around TVET reforms, peace education, environmental conservation and Sustainable Development Goals (Social, Economical and Environmental pillars)
Objectives of RIAT
Eradication of poverty amongst RIAT community and its environs Promotion of peace and understanding within RIAT and its environs.
Creating a clean, safe and healthy environment within RIAT and the neighbouring community .Promoting socio-cultural activities in the region and beyond
Activities: Tree/flower nursery, Botanical peace garden and Establishing fish ponds.
Jaramogi Oginga Odinga University (2016 To Date).
Sharing learning resources and exposure to the state of the art equipment with the following departments:
- Automotive Engineering
- Building and Construction
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
Purpose: Income generating activity.
Latia Agri Business Solution Centre (2018-2019).
Latia Agribusiness Solutions Ltd (LAS) is a Kenyan company that provides business support services (BSS) to farmers and agribusinesses in Africa. It is committed to modernizing agriculture and improving livelihoods through provision of BSS like training, dissemination of technology, marketing support and increasing access to financial services for farmers, pastoralists and Agribusinesses.
Objective: Graduate Internship, Apprenticeship and Job placement
- Empowered small and medium Agripreneurs through practical training in model enterprises
- Interns equipped with skills which stimulate employment and sustainable economic growth
- 10 trainees from RIAT have benefited
Aquaculture Business Development Programme (Abdp) (2018-2026).
Funding: IFAD/ GOK (Program Coordination Unit )
Objective: To increase incomes, food security and nutritional status of the wiser communities of poor households involved in aquaculture in the targeted 15 counties.
Status: MoU signed on 12/10/2020,BQs for classroom and laboratory submitted, Tendering for construction already in progress through PCU
RIATs role: RIAT to host trainings for fish farmers and extension officers
Benefits: one-time grant of Kshs.10,000,000 for upgrading of classroom and laboratory and purchase of lab equipment as one of the 2 training centres for the programme.
Israeli Internship Programme (2014- Present).
Funding: Israeli centre for international cooperation (Mashav)
Objective: To enhance entrepreneurial and employability skills for fisheries trainees-(was a component of Trilateral Tilapia Cooperation 2012-2016)
Status: -Proposal for development of an incubation centre at RIAT Kibos farm presented to the Embassy.
RIATs Role: Nominate students to be interviewed by Mashav.
Benefits: 12 trainees have participated in 11- month internship program in Israel, 2 staff members also benefited from short course and internship
NB: The Israeli Ambassador visited RIAT during this COVID 19 pandemic.
East Africa Aquaculture Project (True-Fish) Yet To Be Initiated.
Funding: EU/ Lake Victoria Fisheries Organization, FAO
Objective: To enhance capacity of the aquaculture training units of RIAT (Kisumu), Entebbe (FTI) and Nyegezi Freshwater Fisheries Institute (Mwanza)
Status: Inception meeting planned for 24th April 2020 but postponed due to COVID-19
RIATs Role: Offer relevant and skills-oriented training to regular trainees, practicing fish farmers and extension officers
Benefits: Training equipment ,curriculum development and reviews, staff development, student exchange programs.
Total project costs for all activities in the 3 institutions estimated at about Euros1.5million (preliminary budget)